Dietary fat used to get a pretty bad rap. These days, however, it’s becoming more well known not only that fat in your diet is essential to health, but certain types of fat (including saturated fat!) offer some unique and potent health benefits, too.
Take, for instance, MCT oil.
Never heard of it?
It’s a type of saturated fatty acid made up of medium chain triglycerides. These fatty acids are small and cell membrane permeable, making them easy for your body to break down, digest, and use for fuel (instead of store as body fat). MCTs also have antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and thermogenic properties.
Where can you find them? Coconut oil contains a lot of MCTs, though they’re also found in olive oil in a slightly lower concentration. These days, however, it’s relatively easy to find MCT oil in concentrated form as a stand-alone supplement.
So, wondering if and why you should try some? Keep reading.
You May Also Like: Eat Well and Get Inspired! Sip Superfood Hot Chocolate
Why Health Nuts Love MCT Oil
The standard Western diet tends to be low in a variety of nutrients, including omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D, and yes, medium chain triglycerides. Making a concerted effort to consume more MCTs can be a boon for your physical and mental well-being.
Here are some specific and impressive ways which regular consumption of MCT oil can benefit you:
– Helps maintain a healthy body weight
– Improves hormone regulation and metabolism, thus aiding in body fat loss
– Improves energy, concentration, and mood
– Improves gut health and digestion
– Strengthens your immune system
– Helps fight off bacterial and viral infections
– Fights bacterial infection and viruses
5 Ways to Get More MCT Oil in Your Diet
So, if you can believe the research exploring benefits of MCT oil (spoiler alert: you can), you may be wondering how you can go about consuming it.
Fortunately, MCT oil is generally flavorless and super easy to mix into things. To that end, here are a few of our favorite ways to eat it:
1) Pour a tablespoon into your coffee or tea. A perfect way to start your morning!
2) Mix into a smoothie or shake. A post-workout dose of MCT oil is great for your liver and muscles.
3) Drizzle over a salad. The oil will actually help your body absorb the fat-soluble micronutrients found in your veggies!
4) Fry up some eggs. This low carb, high-fat meal is perfect for keeping you in the fat-burning metabolic state known as ketosis.
5) Consume that coconut oil. Even if you don’t feel like buying a supplement, you can still enjoy the benefits of MCT simply by eating the foods it’s naturally found in, such as coconut oil and olive oil.
Fair warning: start small when introducing MCTs into your diet, since too much can lead to some gastrointestinal discomfort. But don’t let that scare you! Simply start with 1/2 to 1 tablespoon, try it daily, and watch what happens to your health.